Search Life Notes

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Drummer One (written back in 2010)

Over the years, I have tried to get over it but time and time again, I find myself back where I started. Listening for the rim shots of my Drummer One. With every lick of the sticks and kick of the bass comes floodgates of feeling and emotions that I try so hard to convince myself aren’t there. Feeling that I try to forget. We’ve played this song below. More times than I care to admit. Repeating the same rolls and breaks every time. But every time I’m like a child that watches the same movie over and over again. I know how the song ends but yet and still every time I hear the intro, I’m glued to it, anticipating the surprise ending that never comes. So I am posing a question to myself. Why don’t I turn off the radio? Why is it that I am still shocked about something that I’ve heard before? I know it’s not the special edition with all of the added and deleted scene footage, and the alternate ending. I keep hearing the same song over and over again. Every phrase is the same, every hook, and every vamp. The only difference is the performance. Because it is live, there are a few different variations from time to time. There are some new rolls and possibly some that I will never hear again for whatever reason. But as I said before, the skeleton of the song is the same. It is a track, so it never lets me down. With it being on a board, the timing of the song can be alternated. It can short, it can be long, and it’s all up to Drummer One. It is set up to adjust to the mood of Drummer. He can play it in regular time or in half steps. The bass line is always consistent. One thing any drummer is taught is to stay in the pocket, no matter what else you do stay in the pocket. So that’s what he does. His style varies; by he always remains in the pocket. And unfortunately for me, he makes it every time. He doesn’t miss a beat. And neither do I.



Rest in Peace My Drummer... 

No comments:

Post a Comment